Wednesday, March 01, 2006

check out this article about lent...

So here's something that has nothing to do with hospitals. I guess many Protestants are starting to look at Lent in a new light. Check out this article. Obviously, there is absolutely no mention of the forgotten religion that has kept faithful to 200o years of fasting during Lent (i'm talking about Orthodoxy). Where we don't eat fishsticks during lent. Or abstain from meat only on Fridays (I think that's what it said in the article). It miffs me when Orthodoxy is left out of all discussion. Like we don't even exist. They do that on lots of religion specials on the History Channel... they ask theologians about the early church and none of them are Orthodox. And yet, they use footage from Orthodox churches in Holy Land. Maybe it's because we are so quaint. So, anyway, here is another article that ignores us. OH, one other thought. Protestants that are trying to practice fasting and lent... they end up missing the point. It's not about the fasting. And during lent we do so much more than just fast. We need the support of the extra services to focus our prayers, fasting, almsgiving. ok, that's all for now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

So write a letter to the editor of the publication and point out these errors.
You know I always complain about the History channel because of this fact.
I do think with all the people converting now we will become a bigger voice in the US.
Fasting isnt "cute" as Ive said before........contrary to someones(I wont mention names) beliefs.
Try not to stare at the clock, and remember, this too shall pass.
I promise I will never again say suffering brings character to you.
Youve got enough character to last a lifetime:)
Mom

9:47 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

This morning's Oregonian had an article about Ash Wednesday, and it did mention other traditions than Catholic, including Orthodox. Actually, I'm always surprised when we're mentioned!

My Baptist mother-in-law observes Lent. Not like we do, but she chooses something to fast from each Lent--sweets, television, whatever she feels is a distraction from her spiritual life or something she can "give up" in order to remember what season it is. I was quite surprised when she told me she was doing it, and I thought she might be doing it because of our Lent, but over the years it doesn't seem like that plays into it much. It's a personal thing.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

I can't knock when people do approach Lent from within their tradition, but I totally agree with you about the fact that Orthodoxy is ignored, but our photos are always used!

And, I very much agree that Lent with just the food fast and not the other focuses that we do is missing a huge element.

And, your mom is too sweet!

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home